To be honest, I’m actually not a salad lover. I kind of resisted making this Toasted Kale Salad recipe from Fixate because salads really aren’t my thing. I think it was because this salad is a TOASTED Kale Salad that I actually decided to try it. And for real, it was totally delicious!
I’m trying to make sure I am hyper focused on my fitness and nutrition because Brian and I are off to the Bahamas and Jamaica on the Beachbody Success Club cruise in only 25 days!! Beachbody rewards their coaches for changing lives and gives us ways to earn free trips and all other sorts of cool opportunities and gifts!
I definitely used to be the kind of person that had a “winter body.” I wouldn’t care about putting on weight in the winter and then as the countdown for summer began, I’d take it off again. But let’s be real, that roller coaster isn’t healthy. It’s a really cool feeling to find out I’m going on vacation only weeks before and I’m not freaking out. I’m in control of my body. It took me a long time to get to this place but I’m proud of how far I’ve come.
And being the girly girl that I am..vacation immediately meant shopping. Shocker, am I right?! I feel like because I lost so much weight and I’ve reclaimed my life, I lean towards bikinis in terms of swimwear. And no, this isn’t because I have some rockin bod. I think it’s because I was ashamed of my body for so long, that now I love any chance I get to dress up and show it off. Believe me, if I was trying to give the illusion of a perfect body, I’d only wear one pieces because of the crazy amount of stretch marks I have. A few years ago, even typing the words stretch marks into a blog post would have made me want to throw up. But now, I’m proud. This tiger earned her stripes. I swear when I was in Puerto Rico in December, I kind of wanted someone to mention it or point them out (maybe they’d think I had a baby or something), and I’d proudly tell my story. That’s all stretch marks are. They tell your story. We all have them, stop the stretch mark shame!
Anyway, back to shopping (haha). I bought this monokini from Victoria’s Secret.
Yes, it is a “one piece” but I think it’s HOT! Although my friends lovingly pointed out the hilarious tan lines I will have. I think if I only wear it one of the days I’ll be ok…right? Check out the back, I’m obsessed!
I’m also terrified because I have been warned that these bathing suits don’t look great on everyone. So I’ll definitely be posting a picture for some honest opinions on my Instagram and Facebook. I definitely still struggle with insecurities, I’m only human. Personal development has been helping a lot. I know I’ve posted about it a few times on here, but if you haven’t read You’re a Badass by Jen Sincero, you have to!!
I’m also incredibly excited for the cruise to see my success partner/best friend Sarah. I swear, she and I are the same person. Our brains work the same way (which is a hard feat to accomplish because I’m CRAZY, haha). We both love our systems, organization, planning, etc. It is so important to have positive people in your life that uplift you. I know it might seem painful, but you need to cut ties with the negative Nellie’s in your life. They say you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with, and I absolutely believe that to be true.
Ahh! So excited!! Ok so back to the recipe…am I the queen of tangents or WHAT!!!?
- 1 slice low-sodium sprouted whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 (4-oz) raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into strips
- 1/4 tsp. ground chili powder
- 1 bunch kale, torn into large pieces (about 6 oz)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing (see recipe below)
- 1 tsp. finely chopped lemon peel (for garnish; optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Combine bread, oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; toss until well blended. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes; or until croutons are toasted and crunchy.
- Sprinkle chicken with chili powder. Set aside.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook, stirring frequently for 6 to 8 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle, and is blackened on the outside. Remove chicken from pan. Keep warm.
- Add kale to skillet; cook, over high heat, for 4 to 5 minutes, turning once, or until kale is crispy and lightly charred.
- Evenly divide kale between two serving plates; top with chicken and croutons.
- Drizzle evenly with Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing. Evenly top with lemon peel, if desired.
Container Equivalents (per serving): 2 green, 1/2 red, 1/2 orange, 1/2 tsp
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 large egg yolk, pasteurized
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard, gluten-free
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped lemon peel
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place egg yolk, mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a blender (or food processor); cover. Blend until smooth.
- Slowly add oil, blending continuously until well blended.
Serves: 6 (approx 2 Tbsp. each)
Container Equivalents (per serving): 1 orange
This meal planning system using the containers works with Cize, the 21 Day Fix, the 21 Day Fix Extreme, and The Master’s Hammer and Chisel! If you want to apply for my monthly challenge groups click here.
I’m really obsessed with this Toasted Kale Salad recipe from Fixate. But all of the recipe in it are great! I definitely recommend it!!