Ahh! I can’t believe I’m JUST posting this, but the New Year side tracked me!! My birthday was December 27th (I’m 29!) and typically every year I have some sort of hot pink cake or cupcake. The whole Disney Princess vibe is kind of my thing so I’m sure I’ll be doing this for the rest of my life!! However this year, LAST minute, Brian and I both realized we were kind of screwed for the cake because I am following a keto diet.
So naturally, I started googling the crap out of low carb cake recipes and I stumbled upon one that I HAD to try!
- 1 cup Erythritol
- 3/4 cup Butter (softened)
- 8 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 3 cup Almond flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 32 oz Cream cheese (softened)
- 1/3 cup Butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup Powdered erythritol (adjust to taste; regular granulated *not* recommended)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
To make the frosting pink, I just used food coloring! I LOVED this recipe!! However, WHEN I make it again (because I’m definitely making it again), I’m going to look for a buttercream type frosting recipe instead of the cream cheese. I like cream cheese frosting, but Brian doesn’t.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9″ round springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the erythritol and butter, until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the almond flour, coconut flour, and gluten-free baking powder.
- Transfer 1/3 of the dough to the lined pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until the top is lightly golden and spring-y. Repeat with another 1/3 of the dough, then again with the final 1/3 (making 3 layers total).
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Beat together the cream cheese, butter, powdered erythritol, and vanilla extract, until smooth.
- Let the cake layers cool separately to room temperature before stacking. Frost between the layers, and all over the top and sides at the end. Top with chopped pecans (optional) if desired.
I really really recommend this recipe!!
Learn more about how I supplement my keto diet with ketones here!